Continuous Improvement and Focused Monitoring System (CIFMS)
CONTACT :: Carol Ann M. Hudgens, Section Chief
Policy, Monitoring and Audit
PURPOSE :: The Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act (IDEA) and Article Nine of North Carolina state law require that the Department of Public Instruction monitor local education agencies (LEAs) on a regular basis to ensure compliance with state and federal laws, rules and regulations that govern the provision of special education and related services to children with disabilities. The purpose of this monitoring is to focus federal, state, and local resources on improved results for children with disabilities.
The Exceptional Children Division is responsible for conducting all monitoring activities through the Continuous Improvement and Focused Monitoring System (CIFMS). Activities include:
- Program Compliance Reviews;
- Targeted On-Site Monitoring;
- Focused Monitoring; and
- LEA Program Assessments.
The monitoring consultants are divided regionally. For regions with high concentrations of LEAs, the monitoring consultants have divided the LEAs equitably with a lead monitor identified to ensure timely technical assistance. Monitoring consultants are available to trouble-shoot compliance questions, assist with the documentation of supports and services in IEPs, help prepare for on-site visits, and offer technical assistance for compliance indicators.
The list of monitoring assignments for particular LEAs can be found by following the link below.
Find My Monitor
Class Size/Caseload Waivers
- Directions – Class Size/Caseload Waivers
- Guidance in Determining FTE & Workload for Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, and Speech-Language Pathology Staff
- Summary – Class Size/Caseload and Related Services Caseload Waiver Requests
- Request – Class Size/Caseload Waiver
- Request – Related Services Caseload Waiver