Continuous Improvement and Focused Monitoring System (CIFMS)
CONTACT :: Carol Ann M. Hudgens, Section Chief
Policy, Monitoring and Audit
PURPOSE :: The Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act (IDEA) and Article Nine of North Carolina state law require that the Department of Public Instruction monitor local education agencies (LEAs) on a regular basis to ensure compliance with state and federal laws, rules and regulations that govern the provision of special education and related services to children with disabilities. The purpose of this monitoring is to focus federal, state, and local resources on improved results for children with disabilities.
The Exceptional Children Division is responsible for conducting all monitoring activities through the Continuous Improvement and Focused Monitoring System (CIFMS). Activities include:
- Program Compliance Reviews;
- Targeted On-Site Monitoring;
- Focused Monitoring; and
- LEA Program Assessments.
Class Size/Caseload Waivers
- Directions – Class Size/Caseload Waivers
- Guidance in Determining FTE & Workload for Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, and Speech-Language Pathology Staff
- Summary – Class Size/Caseload and Related Services Caseload Waiver Requests
- Request – Class Size/Caseload Waiver
- Request – Related Services Caseload Waiver