The DPI Visual Impairment Outreach Team
Visual impairment is a low incidence condition, but it can have a high impact on student performance. Material and equipment must be carefully chosen to meet the unique needs of each student with a visual impairment. The Exceptional Children Division of the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction has developed a Statewide System of Support for Students with Visual Impairments (Visual Impairment, or VI, Outreach Team) to help local education agencies (LEAs) understand and meet the needs of their students with visual impairments.
DPI Visual Impairment Outreach Team
Heather Brooks - VI Education Consultant, 919.345.4066 (Regions 6&8)
Regions 5&7 (Vacant) - VI Education Consultant, 336.570.0549
Denise Sample - VI Education Consultant 919.807.3967 (Regions 3 &4)
Claire Hakin - Orientation & Mobility Consultant, 919.807.3966 (State-Wide)
Julie Kagy - VI & AT Consultant/APH Ex Officio Trustee, 919.807.3948 (State-Wide)
Rebecca Marks - VI Education Consultant, 252.646.4540 (Regions 1&2)
Terri Terrell - Administrative Assistant, 919.807.3988
William Tubilleja - VI Education/Low Vision/AT Consultant, 919.807.3951(State-Wide)
Tom Winton - Section Chief, Sensory Support & Assistive Technology (SSAT), 919.807.3982
Upcoming Events in NC
- VI Specific IEP, Sep 30 & Oct 28, Fayetteville - This is a two-day workshop with six total hours of interactive class time and four hours of collaborative homework. Day one will cover PLAAPFs and day two will be devoted to review of assignments, and Annual Goals. Contact: Alicia Cope, email@example.com, or Rebecca Marks, firstname.lastname@example.org, to register
- Mountain Regional PLC for TVIs and COMSs, Oct 16, Nov 13, Jan 15, Feb 19, March 19 2:30 – 5:00 pm Mills River Academy – Come join other mountain area TVIs in this collaborative group while we solve one (or two) professional challenges, while you earn CEU credits! Contact: Heather Brooks, email@example.com, for more information
- STEM Career Showcase for Students with Disabilities, Oct 16, 10:00 – 12:00 pm, Raleigh NC Museum of Science, Raleigh, Registration: http://naturalsciences.org/programs-events/events/stem-career-showcase
- VI Institute, Nov 20, Greensboro - Karen Wollfe, Ph. D., will present on strategies to assist students with visual impairments improve their social skills. Topics to be covered include: assertive communication skills, empathy and reciprocity, effective listening and responding, friendship building skills, and effective problem solving.
- NC EC Conference Nov 20 – 22, Greensboro- http://ec.ncpublicschools.gov/conferences-profdev/annual-conference
- Raising Cane 5K, March 29, Raleigh, raisingcane.org
- NCCVIB Conference April 25 – 26, Winston Salem- (Pre-conference for NC AER members on April 24) www.ncaer.net
If you would like to add or update information on this calendar, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org Thanks!