Deaf & Hard of Hearing
The Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Statewide System of Support serves as a support to local education agencies, including charter schools, and the two schools for the deaf. Consultants for the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Program are available for consultation in program planning and development, training, mentoring and technical assistance that lead to a quality education for students who are deaf or hard-of-hearing. The team can also assist with questions about policy related to students who are deaf or hard of hearing.
- Sherri Vernelson, Section Chief, Sensory Support & Assistive Technology - 919.807.3982
Consultants for Deaf/Hard of Hearing:
- Nancy Woytowich, Northeast, Southeast 919.807.3985
- Nancy Woytowich, North Central, Sandhills 919.807.3985
- Michele Neal, Piedmont-Triad, Northwest 336.497.6456
- Jenny Stroupe, Southwest, Western 864.809.3412
Specialist for Educational Interpreters and Transliterators:
- Antwan Campbell, State-wide support 919.807.3855
Education Services for the Deaf and Blind
Workshops and Training
Find workshop and training opportunities by visiting the Exceptional Children Online Events Calendar.
Listservs for All Educational Interpreters & Deaf Educators
DPI maintains three listservs. They are Deaf & Hard of Hearing Professionals, Educational Audiologists and Educational Interpreters/Cued Language Transliterators. You can join any or all listservs by contacting Sherri Vernelson at the NCDPI at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deaf and Hard of Hearing Professionals
Information for Professionals that work with students who have hearing loss
Information for Educational Interpreters and Cued Language Transliterators.