State Advisory Council
The Council on Educational Services for Exceptional Children (Council) is established as an Advisory Council to the State Board of Education. Its establishment is set forth in the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act (IDEA) federal regulations in §§ 300.167-300.169 and the North Carolina General Statutes in §115C-121.
The Council advises the State Board of Education with respect to the unmet needs to children with special needs and in developing and implementing of policies related to the coordination of services for disabled students; advises the SBE with respect to developing evaluations and reporting on data, and developing corrective action plans to address findings in federal monitoring comments.
- Advise the State Board of Education with respect to unmet needs within the State in the education of children with disabilities
- Comment publicly on rules and policies proposed by the State Board of Education regarding the education of children with disabilities
- Assist the State Board of Education in developing evaluations and reporting on data to the Secretary of Education
- Advise the State Board or Education in developing corrective action plans to address findings identified in Federal monitoring reports
- Advise the State Board of Education in developing and implementing policies relating to the coordination of services for children with disabilities
- Carry out any other responsibility as designated by federal law or the State Board of Education
The Council shall consist of a minimum of 24 members. Currently, the Council consists of 25 members - 20 appointees and 5 ex-officio. Members are appointed by the Governor, President Pro Tem of the Senate, Speaker of the House, and the State Board of Education. Appointees represent individuals with disabilities from the ranks of parents, teachers, higher education, public and private schools, business/vocational community, and charter schools. A majority of representatives shall be persons with disabilities or parents of children with disabilities
Terms of Service
- State Board of Education appointees serve 4 years
- All other appointees serve 2 years
- Council members serve without pay
- Council members receive travel allowances
- Council members serve not more than two consecutive four-year terms